So you are feeling this nasty irritation down your throat and wondering what it could be?
Most likely you are under attack. By some bacteria or virus, the most common pathogens responsible for this kind of infection. If together with the irritation you also have chills, fever, swollen glands and a headache then you have the viral variety of a sore throat.
The bad news about it is that it has no cure, you will only take some painkillers to mitigate the pain. The good news is that within three to four weeks, the virus will have run its cause and you will be back to your normal self.
The bacterial infection is usually more serious, and you will have to be put under anti-bacterial medication. The danger of the bacterial infection is that if left untreated, it can lead to rheumatic fever, which is one of the most common causes of heart complications.
The problem with antibiotics is that at some point, the bacteria strain develops immunity to the medication thus rendering it ineffective.
In fact, if the medication is not well administered, the medication becomes the enemy, killing the good bacteria in the body and lowering your immunity. For this reason, there are many bacteria that is now drug resistant, and alternatives have to be sought to counter the situation.
There are natural remedies that have been proven highly effective in sore throat management. One of the most effective natural remedies is the use of honey. Manuka honey to be precise. Let us explore some of the reasons Manuka honey has become a household name in the prevention and treatment of a sore throat.
Things to Know About Manuka honey
Let us get a few things straight about Manuka honey:
- It is 100% natural
- Has no known side effects
- Made from nectar of wild Manuka trees found only in New Zealand
- Is rich in Zinc, copper, potassium, sodium, phosphorous, manganese, B vitamins, amino-acids, copper and iron
- Rich in hydrogen peroxide and dihydroxyacetone
- Known for its non-peroxide activity
- Has a special compound known as Methylglyoxal which is responsible for its medicinal value
- Has both anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties
- Has a higher level of enzymes than regular honey
- Has four times more nutritional content compared to regular honey
- Can be measured for authenticity using the Unique Manuka Factor (UMF)
- It is highly stable and cannot be easily destroyed by light, heat and body enzymes
- There are counterfeit varieties in the market, and you should use the UMF to determine authenticity
- It is slightly more expensive compared to regular honey
Does Manuka Honey Clear A Sore Throat?
So, should you take Manuka honey to clear a sore throat? As we saw at the beginning, your doctor has to determine whether a sore throat is caused by a virus or bacteria. We have pointed out the problem brought about by anti-bacteria medication.
That is why more and more people are opting for Manuka honey. Because of it medicinal properties highlighted above, this natural remedy has proved effective in combating the most irritating symptoms associated with a sore throat.
So, how does it work?
- Manuka honey has antibacterial properties that fight the bacteria responsible for a sore throat. This bacteria, technically known as streptococcus pyogenes, becomes extremely aggressive if not eliminated from the body.
- The methylglyoxal component found only in Manuka honey has a highly effective broad anti-bacterial spectrum. In laboratory tests, it has proven effective in combating this kind of bacteria.
- Therefore, Manuka honey will safely clear your sore throat without any side effects associated with traditional sore throat medication.
- When you have a sore throat, your throat becomes inflamed more so the tonsils and the pharynx.
- This is what actually causes the pain you experience in that region. Manuka honey has anti-inflammatory properties emanating from methylglyoxal that combats the swelling and prevents the inflammatory cells from swelling, thus relieving pain.
- Manuka honey further has immune boosting properties that keep you strong during an infection. This is due to the presence of Arabinogalactan proteins and Apisimin of this special honey.
How To Take Manuka Honey To Combat A Sore Throat?
Having decided on this wonder of nature to relieve the adverse symptoms of a sore throat, is there a prescribed way it should be consumed? The answer is no; there isn’t. Manuka honey is like food; you can take it at any time and get maximum benefits. However, you could also take it this way:
- For preventive measures, you can spread it on a slice of bread as you take your breakfast. Make it a daily habit to keep sore throats at bay.
- When already infected, you can take a tea spoon at least three times a day for the maximum benefit.
- Alternatively, you can dissolve it in lukewarm water, add some lemon and take it as often as possible. This will not only clear the sore throat, but it will also help kill all the streptococcus bacteria and keep you rehydrated.
Is Manuka Honey Safe For Everyone?
Manuka honey is safe for human consumption. Jus ensure you have the authentic product by checking the UMF factor. A UMF of more than 10 is recommended for better results.
However, there is a category of people that should not take Manuka Honey, or take it cautiously.
- Children below one year should not take honey of any kind, Manuka Honey included. Their metabolism system is not developed enough to process it and can lead to botulism poisoning.
- People who are allergic to bees or pollen should take a 48-hour patch test to determine if it is safe for them.
- Those suffering from diabetes should consume it with extreme caution. They should stop if they find it has an adverse effect on the sugar level.
Manuka Honey is a wonderful natural remedy for treating sore throat. Its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties aid in combating the severe symptoms of a sore throat and the fact that it has no side effects make it a highly desirable option.